The Wolfley Family Blog Disclaimer:

This blog is meant for educational purposes only. It may be too intense for some viewers. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. SOME Simulated pictures. Apply only to affected area, If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Beware of dog. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from fire or flame. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. This supersedes all previous notices. Decisions by me are final or in other words its my verbal potty mouth, if you don't like it... don't read it!

Friday, October 3, 2008

its been a while....

So I haven't posted in a while....I am finding it hard to find time to post. It is canning season you know... Actually today I am doing pears so I don't have much time but I did want to share with you what we have been up too!

And everything takes me a while....even though I have such good helpers......

Here in Idaho Apples run plentiful......To tell you the truth the apple trees plaque me. I hate to see good ole' apples wasted. So I have taken to knocking on doors..."saying I noticed your apples are all falling on the ground...would you mind if I pick them????.... It makes me crazy. I have had some good friends that have been on apple watch for me. And I have started to pick them along the ditch banks. These things grow wild and yummy!!! So we have done apple sauce.....apple butter....fruit leather...dried apples....and apple juice....My next apple venture is apple pie filling! These were all free....and I am still not sick of apples yet!

My kids Love the fruit leather stuff! I just take the left over pulp from the juice and grind it all up.....and add a little Cinnamon and splenda....and my kids go crazy!! I did with raspberries too!
I have started to can soooooooo much I have taken to wearing my grandma apron all day! Ugly....but its so cute at the same time!!! If anyone has a pattern for a old fashion apron! Please send it too me this one is getting a little snug as my belly grows! (Grace took this picture, and yes I am chubby...shut up I am pregnant!!!with # 5...SO BITE ME!!)
So we have conquered the food storage room!!! I have been sorta freaked out by this whole band-aid bill and everything that is too come after(don't get me started)....The election and just our economy in general! So we have started our 1 year food storage. We are far from having a year but we could survive for a good couple of months. Ever since we have moved I have not really worked on food storage...and we got rid of alot of it in the move.....So now it is time!!!!
it may not look like much but we have our upstairs pantry too! plus our garage has some of our non perishables......its fun and rewarding to see everything all stocked up! (note: Mike wanted me to let everyone know that he has also stocked up on ammo....and he would shoot anyone that tries to invade the Wolfley food mart)
on a lighter note.... the other cool thing about this room is.........I have storage!!!! and a sewing - craft room!!! and a door with a LOCK!!!!! I can sew in peace!! So minus the sheet rock....I say it is done.....for now.... that will come when the rest of my down stairs is done................(we won't discuss that)
OK so here is the funnest thing about my month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got chickens!!!!!!! Anyone that knows me knows that I have wanted chickens!!! Forever!!! and I was so excited about moving here.....so that we could get chickens! Well in our neighborhood convents it says no poultry(BS)......It also says 1 horse.....no ducks or donkeys.....and your front yard must been done within 1 year......I figure if no one else is obeying the convents...why should we.....besides when have you ever know Mike or I to follow the rules!!!! that is what I thought! The coop looks small but.....we have more pieces to it we just did not get then installed before I took the pictures.....We got the chickens from a friend that was getting rid of them.....(they were her kids pets.....and like kids do.... they lost interest) Now they are my pet.....They lay about 6 eggs per day.....So I have told the neighbor I would sell them when I get enough!
Funny picture......Hannah was suppose to have shoes on!!!! well, she being a rule breaker too.....came out with no shoes on.....when I took this picture I was telling her.....your gonna step in a big pile of crapppppppp.......oppppssss.....Mom is always right! she spent like 25 mins. washing her feet! And now wears her shoes when she is feeding the chickens!

8 comments:

Cal said...

Busy, busy, busy. The pantry looks great. We've been trying to get thing ready too, we just barely got the 72 hour kits together so if we need more than that we may have to run up to the wolfley food mart. :)

PS. It's about time you posted geeeeezzzz!

The Thornburgs said...

I LOVE IT!!! The chickens are great, we weren't supposed to have any but we stuck them behind our shop in the valley and no one knew...
I totally hear you about the whole bail out and election, it is on my mind daily and we have started to do the same thing...loading up on everything! I won't get started either but I think you are amazing for all the canning you are doing and so wish I could learn! It's on my LIST of things I need to do or learn to do... haven't seen you in a while...I miss you!

Emilee said...

Another thing we have in common. I want to get chickens so bad too. Looks like fun. Good to hear from you again.

kori bates said...

You have a lot of food Heather...How are you and the baby doing??How far along you now? I have decided that I am going to try canning apple sauce...yea me!!!!

Ethington Family said...

i love out chickens! not so much when they pooh in the driveway.
wow! you have been busy and everything looks great! now come to my house and get to work. i know what you mean about watching things stock up- it feels good!
mary

Ann Yeaman said...

Great blog Heather. You and Mike have been busy. I missed you this weekend. It was great, not to crowded and Julianna and I got a lot of pages done.

Jessica said...

That is awesome about your food storage. I wish I would have been able to do that. But with the move and the fruit season in Wichita being earlier than when we moved I am stuck without peaches for a matter of a year. I have no more canned peaches or pears. I am miserable and sad. Congrats!!!

Call me Hehaw said...

Not alot to do when you are laid off for a few weeks.....

Jessica- I will share my pears and peaches.....Just make your way back here.

Annie- I know I was bummed too....Miss you

Mary- we can trade...you can clean my house and I will can everything and get your food storage going....

Kori- I am good still pukeing....But something that I am use to. I have no idea how far along I am....But I am starting to get apartment size...then comes duplex...then house....so I have a while

emm- Chickens stink....I have barfed twice inside the coop...they just eat it though...easy clean up......Gross But true

Al-We should get together and I can show you some tricks I have learned. Canning is funner with a partner. Call me

Craiglet-Mike says you bring your guns and ammo..and he knows a few places to get enough food for you and your fam....I do NOT agree...Come and We will share with you....But you might have to sacrifice yourself...or we can just eat Randy....