The story goes as this..... I heard from a friend of a friend that the cannery had a overage of pears...... so of course I was interested.....I got the # and called the lady and she said she had just a few more left. So I asked....how much? and how many?............... She said $14.00 a bushel.................................................................................
Now..... I knew this was a good deal because at any store.... a box (which is approximately 20-25 pounds) was running about 17-20$.
So I said "I will take 2."
"great" said the lady, "I will put you on the list!"
I had a feeling.....So I said,"BTW, how many pounds is that?"
"50 pounds a Bushel, (in a rush) my other line is ringing..... will see you tomorrow @ 10am and thanks again"
What!!!! Me left in shock.....I just bought 100 pounds of pears....
NOW...I am a BORN city girl...(country at heart) and I have heard of "bushels" But I just asss-umed that a bushell was a 25 pound box. hummmmm yahhhhhhhh
Really this was a great deal! Just now I had to peel and can. 100 pppppppppounds of pears........
PLUS!!!!
Everyone warned me....and said don't do it...."Have you done pears before????"
"NO I would say but I am up to the challenge...." But 100 pounds......
Really it wasn't so bad. I had a friend that bought a bushell and I got a few tips before I started. Although the 1 Bushell took 2 days with reinforcements.....Friday I did half by myself and gave up...then I called my canning partner and she brought 3 of her girls and whipped the pears and tomatoes out by like noon.....(always have a canning partner)
Tips.....
#1 use a potato peeler.....
#2 do them while they are still a little hard...
First tip...Best thing ever saved my life! Thanks Torrie- "coming from Elane....."
Second one...someone should have told me this tip before.....because mine we already soft when I did them.....
I used food coloring for a fun effect for my kids. They also think that they are flavored. Blue -blueberry, pink- bubble gum, bright Green- apple and the yellow- banana.
This is not all of them this is just the first load ...... 
Then I did baked beans....I had so many dried beans....some wear getting old......From Portland....so I decided that I would can them. I tried to find Duke to get the recipe from....but he wasn't talking....and the Internet had no idea....But I did find one tip....almond extract...... They did not turn out just like "bushes" But the sauce was great! One thing.....I used red beans...But did you know that Baked beans are made from white beans...had no idea...whatever.....they taste good the skins were just not quite the same......
The Wolfley Family Blog Disclaimer:
This blog is meant for educational purposes only. It may be too intense for some viewers. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. SOME Simulated pictures. Apply only to affected area, If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Beware of dog. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from fire or flame. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. This supersedes all previous notices. Decisions by me are final or in other words its my verbal potty mouth, if you don't like it... don't read it!
Monday, October 6, 2008
More canning.....
Posted by Call me Hehaw at 7:25 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Look at the girl go! Molly Mormon and Happy Homemaker all in one, what a catch. ;)
I still want to see the picture of you bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen though.
There is a shoe on the counter...did you accidently can one of the kids?
You ant to see me barefoot and pregnant???? Come down and visit us? NO PICTURE FUR YOUUUU!!!
And Kori we actually have had 6 kids total...we just canned one of them and sold the other on ebay.... child = house....great trade off.
And I am a catch....you already knew that though......
Ya, you're a catch alright......................
I think I might need an ointment for what kind of a catch you are;)
Whatever you know you wanna catch what I got baby..... ;)
Ointment or not.....
JK
Post a Comment