Its busy....It took me 3 days to write that first part....
OK where did I leave off?
Oh yes, So I stuck it out. I mean, I know what the "right" thing to do is. So we got over to my neighbors door and we stood there for a sec. when Hannah decided that she did not want to do this.....and I notice that pretty much the whole family is looking at Hannah and I from there front window. Which only made the whole thing worse.
Hannah sobbing said "no I won't"
So dumb me , knocks.......
Hannah throws the note and bolts.
I mean this child can run.....she is fast and by the time the door is open Hannah is gone. I am left to apologize for My sweet darling child...Let my unclean strangle that child thoughts be known as a stood there and tried to decide how I was to approach this subject. After the first "I am so sorry" I stood there and I felt nothing but embarrassment. Embarrassed for myself, my child and my family. Embarrassed that she did know better or maybe that I hadn't taught her better. Embarrassed that it was so hard for her to apologize, to simply admit that she was wrong and that she had done something that she knew was wrong.
Mixed in with all of my angry parenting thoughts I felt sorry for her. Sorry that I, her Mom had not been Humble enough to set a good example for her to learn by.....
After my humiliating experience I wanted to sit down in the snow and wait for this to just blow over. But as Hannah found it doesn't just go away and as a parent it is my job to teach follow through....But I do admit that I did drag me feet a while.
I went into the house and found Hannah in her room. Her new room.....one that she loves dearly and has kept clean and tidy everyday for fear of losing it. I knew that when I talked with her that her heart would be VERY hardened, and that it will now take extreme measures to get her to choice the right. When I walked in before I could say a thing she blurted out.....
"You can punish me to my room, you can take my blanket, I'll go to bed without dinner or you can spank me but I am not gonna say sorry..."
Now I wish I could tell you that I had some great parent-child talk with her and she changed her mind and ran over, said sorry and gave her a big hug and everything was great......PROBABLY NOT.....Not in my fairytale life......
I know from a few years of parenting that I can't punish my kids all the same. Some I can just guilt into, some need to be spanked in it, others it only takes 10 Min's down in there room... But some I must take extreme measures with(far beyond spanking).
"fine" I said, "I'll go get a box"
I stood up and started to walk out the door, Hannah had a confused, but happy "I just won" look on her face.
I came back with a box and started to load up her stuff in it. When she caught on, panic once again filled her face.
"are you moving me?"
I then explained to her that we gave her this room because we thought she was growing up and sometimes big kids/grown ups have to make tough choices. And that we had hoped that she would make the right tough choices. But her choosing not to apologize, even though it was hard, showed me that she was still a little girl, and little girls cannot have there own big girl rooms.
After a little bit of thinking she said, "OK Mom.... but I want to walk over by myself" Sniffling, she put her shoes on and walked over and did it.
Now I know most parenting experts (whoever these people are) might say that my tactics were wrong and that I should let her make her own choice to apologize. But I say blah... they don't know Hannah, IT WOULDN'T OF HAPPENED and she would have won. I have to find what works for each child.....and this did.
When she got home I could tell that she felt so much better. That she felt better inside for doing it. She came straight up to me and gave me a big hug and said,
"thanks Mom, I luv ya"
"I luv ya too Hanny"
My kids teach me things, Hannah my least likely of kids, taught me a lesson of humility and forgivness.....
But with every lesson comes a test and my test came a little sooner than I expected.....
TO BE CONTINUED......
The Wolfley Family Blog Disclaimer:
This blog is meant for educational purposes only. It may be too intense for some viewers. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. SOME Simulated pictures. Apply only to affected area, If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Beware of dog. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from fire or flame. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. This supersedes all previous notices. Decisions by me are final or in other words its my verbal potty mouth, if you don't like it... don't read it!
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Ok sorry it took so long....
Posted by Call me Hehaw at 4:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You are killing me Heather!
what? to be continued? I know how much work it is to teach lessons. Kudos to you for sticking to it and not giving up. She learned, please quit being busy and do tell the rest of the story.
I agree with what you did 100%! I would of done the same. You are a wonderful Mommy Heather.
Heather I think you handled it very well. I dont think making her apologize is teaching her the wrong thing as far as "she should choose...". Kids have to learn that no matter how hard it is, sometimes you just HAVE to do what needs to be done. By you giving her the chance to do that before she is old enough to have the maturity to make that decision herself, she will learn how to deal with her emotions and just do it even when it's hard. Good mama! ;)
First off, I hope I would have handled it as well. It is so hard to know what to do when you're hearing it, but it is 10X harder when you are right in the middle of it and emotions are flying. It is hard to convice your kids to see things the way we do sometimes, but I think you did great.
Mary
Post a Comment