The Wolfley Family Blog Disclaimer:

This blog is meant for educational purposes only. It may be too intense for some viewers. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. SOME Simulated pictures. Apply only to affected area, If condition persists, consult your physician. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Beware of dog. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from fire or flame. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. This supersedes all previous notices. Decisions by me are final or in other words its my verbal potty mouth, if you don't like it... don't read it!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Don't judge it looks gross....

I remember seeing canned Beef on a food storage shelf at Mikes parents house. I remember saying to my self that I would never eat that vommit sludge in a can....... So here is crazy me eating my words again..... Cause.... I love the stuff.....Oh you will judge as I did, cause the look of this canned vomit is almost enough to abstain from ever eating it and making a silent vow to die rather than partake as I did. Though if we are about to run out of food you just remember that I will be the one to live (slowly dieing) but eating good....
This stuff makes tamale meat that will blow you away, it is great for that quick stew, soup, or Shepard's pie. This time I took a mixture of elk and beef.....
You cut everything into small chunks...I prefer them on the larger size, but its your preference. I think the ball book says 1 inch chunks.

I had a helper....and willing child to learn to art of the trade. Plus a ankle biter that just won't go to far from me.... he looks so Idaho....any who...

I seasoned the raw meat with onion soup packets..... You can use mushroom... Cajun....taco or just salt and pepper. You just need enough to cover each piece. Its about 3-4 soup packets for about 20 pounds of meat.


Then I shoved the raw meat in the jars....(tasty... nothing like meaty kids hands)....take a butter knife and push all of the meat to the bottom leaving No air space. add nothing else..... You can add beef stock. I dont...but you can...

Righty tighty all of the lids....
WITH A PRESSURE cooker...Process at 15 pounds for 1 hour 30 mins.

So as for having some protein in your food storage, this is the way that I would go. I mean "them there Beans" will due for a while but just wont cut my meat craving's. By far this is cheaper than spam (and way less spammy) or freeze dried yuck I mean fake meat.
I will post a Homemade tamale recipe that will have your mouth wanting more really soon!!

2 comments:

Ken Roberts said...

I want to see the finished product. I'll do this, but I want to see what it looks like cooked. Where did you get the elk meat? Did somebody actually bring something home? Thanks for the recipe, I think I'll be getting out the pressure cooker, but seriously show me a picture so I can prepare myself...I've blocked out my childhood memories.

Ken Roberts said...

That was me not Ken. Why does he have to mess with MY computer?